Last week I had a bit of a crazy week (this week is not looking too different either), and on Friday I was in full on melt down mode. My husband being the awesome person he is, stopped what he was doing at work, came to my school, picked up our oldest daughter and took her to get lunch (we had forgot our lunches, one of the many things to not go right that day), AND he proceeded to bring me back lunch as well. Not only did he sit down and eat lunch with me, but he asked how he could help solve my problem, made phone calls in an attempt to assist me, and then repeatedly asked me if I was sure I did not need the car (we only have one to share) because he would cancel his afternoon meeting if I needed to keep the car.
When he left, one of the other teachers I work with asked, "How long have yall been married?" When I replied this year would be 10 years, she replied with a comment about how she could tell because he seemed to know me so well.
I have to give my husband credit. He really does know me pretty well. And it got me to thinking about all the reasons I love him. I mean there have been times in our marriage that I have to remind myself I did WANT to marry this guy at one point, and then there are times I have completely taken advantage of the fact that he loves me. So I began to make a list of all the reasons I love him, so on those days I need a reminder I can look back and say why did I ever even need a reminder!
1. I love that he makes me laugh. Seriously, I think he makes me laugh at least once a day. If he were not in my life I would take things waaaayyyy to seriously. He probably thinks I still take things to seriously, but if not for him, I would laugh a lot less.
2. I love his drive to always do his best. If he feels like something is worth his time, he will put all of himself into making sure he does his absolute best. We are the same in this in a lot of ways, and I really appreciate that we can both pursue things and challenge each other even to do our very best.
3. I love the way he always provides for our family. In whatever ways necessary (even working 4 jobs), he will make sure me and the kids have what we need. We might not always get what we want, but we will have all we need. It means a lot to me that he takes that responsibility so seriously.
4. I love that no matter how many times I say I think I am fat he says he thinks I am beautiful and not fat. And I know there may be times where he think I really am looking a little fat, but he wouldn't ever tell me that. He makes sure I know he thinks I am perfect the way I am. And he supports me in trying to live a healthy life, even when I try to cook and eat crazy foods.
5. I love the way he works with our children. He can have so much more patience than me. And when it comes time to help our oldest with Math homework, or build something with the youngest, he can sit for hours and help them. He very rarely loses his cool when he is helping them, and he just shows he cares. I love how he can ignore everything else going on in the house to sit on the couch and watch a movie with the kids or play a game. While sometimes I let that frustrate me, I really love and envy it. I have the hardest time letting the housework go and I love that regardless of what is going on he will take the time to sit and do something with the kids. I am glad they have him to do that with because those memories will be the ones that last, not the messy or clean house.
6. I love that we can have fun together. When we have free time, we can just have fun! We love to play games of all sorts. We had an amazing date night one time and had a water balloon fight. We just enjoy being goofy and silly together. I can't wait to retire with this guy!
7. I love his passion for music. I have always enjoyed music, but since being married to him, he has converted me into someone who really wants music playing all the time. AND he has greatly broadened my range of music I listen too. I love that I always know at least some of the newest latest music. I also really love listening to him play guitar, and when he is just playing to play and not practicing I could listen all day.
8. I love that he could fix any technical problem I have. He just knows about technology, and makes it his goal to always know the latest things. I know if I have a problem, he can fix it. I totally take advantage of this way to often. I have become incredibly dependent on him for my technology needs!
9. I love his thirst for knowledge. I mean we first met because he was a math genius and helped me study. He is still a math genius and I love his passion for math (even if I hate math), but his knowledge isn't limited to math. Intellectually when we aren't just caught up in life, we really enjoy talking about things and just click. We both love to learn and be challenged, and that is one of the things I am most excited about for when our kids are grown.
10. The thing I love the most about him though is how he supports my crazy dreams. I am a leap before you look sort of person, and he is a look before you leap. It is a great balance because he keeps me from jumping off the cliff with alligators and rocks below it but instead he helps me slowly repel down and still follow my passions, but in a bit more safe manner. And as many times as I take that as him trying to squash my dreams, I really know he just wants me to be happy. And he would do anything in his power to make sure I am happy.
I could continue to list things I love about him, and I probably will at some point, but these are the things that just really stick out to me right now.
1 Corinthians 13:4 - 7 says, "Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance."
My husband is great at just about all those things listed in that verse, and it makes me realize, I need to work on being a bit better at loving him.
Leave a comment with the name of the person you are thankful loves you, or the name of the person you are going to love a bit better.